imgbox
Follow @ColonnadeLynn
The Colonnade Room
April 20, 2024, 08:52:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Recipe Thread

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recipe Thread  (Read 1041 times)
Lynn1
Administrator

« on: November 22, 2009, 04:28:47 pm »

From the December 1, 2009 issue of Soap Opera Digest (p. 65):

From The Kitchen Of Stacy Haiduk (Patty/Emily, Y&R)

Spiced Squash And Apple Soup

Where did you get this recipe?  "It's a variation on a recipe I got from an old Williams-Sonoma cookbook.  I worked on it until I came up with my own version that I like.  I've been serving this for years and it's become a tradition.  It's a big hit in my family.  It's so good."

What do you do to make it your own?  "I like to use a lot more spice because I love cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, so I basically doubled what the recipe called for. I like the smell in the house when I'm cooking it.  I use salted butter because I prefer it to unsalted.  I also love to serve it in a big, carved-out pumpkin so it's visually appealing."

What tips do you have for preparing this soup?  "Make sure you peel the apples!  One year, I forgot to do that and was like, 'Why doesn't it seem to be quite right?' and it was because I hadn't peeled the apples.  I always make my husband peel the squash [laughs]."

Ingredients
4 tablespoons salted butter
2 large onions, diced
2 large green apples, peeled, cored and diced
1-2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1/2 - 1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 - 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
10 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
12 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
1 large pumpkin (optional)
Thin slices of apple for garnish
pinch of cinnamon (optional)

Directions
1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add the diced onions and apples.  Cook those until they're tender, which takes about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the spices and cook for another minute.
4. Add the squash and chicken stock.  Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for about 20-30 minutes until the squash is tender.
5. Purée the soup in batches, then add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Pour soup into bowls or remove the meat and seeds from a pumpkin and use the shell as a container to serve the soup.
7. Top with the extra apple slices and sprinkle on some extra cinnamon.  Makes about 12 servings.

The above article was typed up and posted at The Colonnade Room, with credit given to its source.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum